Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Grandma

Ok - so I don't know if anyone is even reading this blog, but I guess the record is as much for myself as anyone else.

Today I got a card from my Grandma.  She lives in England, on the other side of the world.  That has been very hard for me and my brothers and sisters growing up.  Sure, we got to go on cool holidays in Europe every 5 or so years, and both Grandma and Grandad would come to visit us here, but I really missed not being able to drop round there for tea, or having them babysit.

I really envied my friends who had grandparents here and hardly ever saw them - to me it felt like such a waste.  I even adopted other peoples grandparents, calling them Nan or Gran or Granpop too (I adopted GiB's grandparents and Nonna in this fashion too - much to their delight).

I guess I kind of knew that Grandma and Grandad would not be able to come to our wedding.  They haven't been able to travel the distance to Australia for several years now, especially since the last time they came out Grandad had a huge heart attack and they ended up being 'stuck' here for 3 months. 

But this morning, whilst GiB was driving me to the train station for work, I opened the mail from yesterday (we are a bit lazy like that, but at least it delays the bills!).  In the bundle was a card that I knew instantly was from my Grandma.  We didn't have specific RSVP cards for the wedding, simply a contact phone number and email.  It was hard enough printing and cutting the paper we did include.

Knowing that my grandparents are somewhat traditional, I was not surprised to receive a card from them with an official RSVP to the wedding - neither was I surprised that the card started with their regrets at not being able to attend.

What did surprise me was the rest of the card - some excerpts:
"We will be with you in thought and spririt all that day.  You and [GiB] make a special couple and we wish you both much happiness.  'call us old fashioned' if you wish, but we are pleased you are getting married.  You have always been a credit to us and we are very proud of you and all you have achieved."

Just those words, written on a card sent halfway around the world had me in tears, GiB holding my hand as I read.  It wasn't just the words, it was the feelings and emotions I could feel in them - it was the fact of seeing my Grandma's handwriting, looking so frail yet still so elegant, that really got to me.

I really, really, really, really, wish I could give both my Grandma and Grandad a big big hug right now.

1 comment:

  1. :(

    Not sure why this post didn't pop up in my reader.

    Hope you're feeling better now. My Nan on my Dad's side lives in Sydney and won't be able to travel to our wedding. I really wish she could be there. At this point, the only reason I am considering getting a videographer would be so she could see it afterwards.

    ReplyDelete